Purchased at the Tattersalls Book 2 Sale, this colt is by the Coolmore Stallion STARSPANGLEDBANNER: https://coolmore.com/farms/ireland/stallions/starspangledbanner
- European Champion Sprinter
- The best son of Choisir and closely related to multiple Group 1 winners Haradasun and Elvstroem
- Won the Group 1 Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot just like his sire Choisir
- Won the Group 1 July Cup at Newmarket like leading sire Oasis Dream
- Won the Group 1 Oakleigh Plate just like the exceptional sire Fastnet Rock
- Won the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas in a faster time than the proven sires Redoute’s Choice & Lonhro
- Yearlings in 2020 sold for 360,000gns, 200,000gns, £170,000, 170,000gns, 140,000gns, £130,000, 130,000gns, €125,000, 125,000gns etc
- Thought this was a nice quote from the Coolmore website - ‘Speed, Power, Class & Good Looks!’
It’s always a fascinating dilemma, when purchasing a yearling, or any unraced horse, for that matter, especially on a middle market budget like ours, whether to prioritise pedigree over the individual, or individual over pedigree. Fortunately, in the case of this stunning looking son of STARSPANGLEDBANNER, you can have BOTH.
Here's a Racing Post Bloodstock story on Starspangledbanner: https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/bloodstock-latest/he-injects-speed-and-class-high-flying-starspangledbanner-defying-the-odds/494885
We’ve had plenty of success over the years with progeny of the great Starspangledbanner, most notably, The Rosstafarian, who was placed at black type level for us and also ran in the Group 2 Craven Stakes and Irish 2000 Guineas in 2021. He was recently sold, at the end of his GB career, to Hong Kong, for a very hefty, arguably, life changing sum for his lucky owners.
One would struggle to find a more stunning, imposing, or better moving model and, in this colt, one has the surety that the mare has already produced the Group/Grade 2 performing fillies Goodthingstaketime and Miss Gathering. Both were winners as 2 year olds, both were by Canford Cliffs. This colt represents the first colt out of the mare therefore. Without wishing to offend the exploits of Canford Cliffs’ progeny, Starspangledbanner’s offspring would be in a different stratosphere, ability wise. This colt is out of a Holy Roman Emperor mare, Holy Roman Emperor tends to impart speed and precocity.
See his walk and profile here:
Here's Michael with him in the yard:
On Warren Hill: